Vocabulary Words Lesson 1: Ancient Civilization
How to study vocabulary words: http://goo.gl/D8uxuV
1. Please take notes on the articles: main ideas, support, details.
2. Please take notes on the videos: main ideas, support, details.
More listening (Advanced): https://tw.voicetube.com/channel/toefl/?sub_title=Lesson%203.%20Civilizations
Reading and Listening Test:
1. Write a 150-word paragraph for the following topic sentence: Most ancient civilizations had three distinguishing features (TS)
Most ancient civilizations had three distinguishing features (TS). Firstly, they practiced agriculture and used methods such as irrigation and terracing (MS) to produce a surplus of food (ms). (To explain,) they harvested and stored mass amounts of crops like barley, wheat, and rice, which allowed them to spend more time on other activities (ms). As a result, people started to engage in other trades, and gradually different classes (MS) such as rulers, priests, merchants, and farmers arose in these civilizations (ms). Each individual in this hierarchical system engaged in a variety of activities, and a need to record these activities soon arose (ms). For example, merchants needed to record trade and commercial activities, while rulers had to keep records of their tributes from subjects. Consequently, each civilization soon developed and established a writing system. The most famous of them were perhaps the Cuneiform writing system (that is) developed by the Sumerians and hieroglyphs (that is) used by the Egyptians. (150 words)
Grammar Lesson 1: Five Basic Sentence Patterns (五大句型) and Verb Tenses (時態)
1. Go over grammar patterns and watch the videos.
Five Basic Sentence Patterns (五大句型)
Verb Tense (動詞時態)
2. Go over all the links below.
1. http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/verbtenseintro.html (English)
U1 Vocabulary and Grammar Handout : https://goo.gl/ww5eDr
Answer to verb tense exercise:
1. When Carol called (call) last night, I was watching (watch) my favorite show on television.
2. I have worked (work) for this company for more than thirty years, and I intend to stay here until I retire.
3. Sharon loves (love) to travel. She goes (go) abroad almost every summer. Next year, she plans to go to Peru.
4. Thomas is an author. He writes (write) mystery novels and travel memoirs. He has written (write) since he was twenty-eight. Altogether, he has written (write) seven novels, three collections of short stories and a book of poetry.
5. We were late because we had some car problems. By the time we got (get) to the train station, Susan had waited/already been waiting (wait) for us for more than two hours.
6. Sam was trying (try) to change a light bulb when he slipped (slip) and fell (fell).
7. Every day I wake (wake) up at 6 o’clock, eat (eat) breakfast at 7 o’clock and leave (leave) for work at 8 o’clock. However, this morning I got (get) up at 6:30, skipped (skip) breakfast and left (leave) for work late because I forgot (forget) to set my alarm.
8. Right now, Eric’s wife (read) is reading the newspaper and Eric is making (make) dinner. Last night at this time, they were doing (do) the same thing. She was reading the newspaper (read) and he was cooking (cook). Tomorrow at this time, they will also be doing (do, also) the same thing. She will be reading (read) dinner and he will be preparing dinner (prepare). They are very predictable people!
9. By this time next summer, you will have completed (complete) your studies and (will) have found a job. I, on the other hand, will not have accomplished (accomplish, not) anything. I will still be studying (study, still) and you will be working (work) in some new high paying job.
10. The students are usually (be, usually) taught by Mrs. Monty. However, this week they are taught (be) taught by Mr. Smith.
1. 2016-2017 教學分享和校園演講: https://goo.gl/sIJoRn
線上課程: (Class Website): https://goo.gl/03qyPT (PC+手機版)